Expressions of interest are sought from individuals keen to lead the on-going excellence in cancer research in Wales by taking a senior leadership role within the Wales Cancer Research Centre (WCRC), as Director.
In summary the appointed director is to:
- Provide outstanding leadership to motivate the WCRC team, associated partners and extensive stakeholders to deliver the WCRC vision and mission.
- Ensure WCRC targets and objectives are met.
- Lead the WCRC involvement in an all Wales research agenda, through the completion and delivery of the Wales Cancer Research Strategy that attracts, develops, and motivates new investment and a thriving research ecosystem.
- Lead through a collaborative and outwardly looking approach that drives alignment of all stakeholders across multiple sectors to evolve an international cancer research agenda in Wales of excellence with patients upfront and central to that agenda.
The appointee will lead the WCRC in its second quinquennium of Welsh Government funding (until March 2025). Together with the current Associate Directors, they will contribute to a strong Strategic Leadership Team for WCRC.
A role description and summary of characteristics of likely appointees is available here.
Expressions of interest should comprise a CV and a supporting statement (no more than 700 words) demonstrating your understanding of the breadth and depth of Cancer Research activity in Wales and how you feel you could make an exceptional contribution to the future success of cancer research in Wales as Director of WCRC.
Informal enquiries, prior to expressing an interest, may be directed to:
- Chair of the appointment panel – Prof Rachel J Errington. Director, Division of Cancer and Genetics, Cardiff University School of Medicine [email@example.com]
- Interim WCRC Director – Dr Sunil Dolwani, Cardiff University [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Funder of the WCRC - Health and Care Research Wales, Welsh Government. Director, Prof Kieran Walshe [Kieran.Walshe@gov.wales]
Formal applications, as outlined above, should be sent to a confidential email address [email@example.com], no later than 4pm on 16th July, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on or after the week commencing 9th August, 2021 with a view to getting the most appropriate individual in post as soon as possible thereafter.